Thursday, July 10, 2008

Confessions of an emotional eater


I just read an interesting article post about emotional overeating and how to stop. While reading it, I realized that I have been kidding myself when Ive denied being an emotional eater myself. This is because I think of emotional eating as overeating when you are depressed or sad as a comfort mechanism. Which, in my own defense, is usually how it is described in most articles I've read regarding emotional eating.

I had my last day at my old job last night and went out for a celebratory drink with my coworkers. I ate a ton of food. Dinner, a sugary drink, and an entire brownie sundae BY MYSELF (hell no I don't share my sweets). Then after reading this article today, I have concluded that yes I AM an emotional over eater, BUT I overeat when I am HAPPY - not when I'm depressed. I overeat when I'm out with friends...I'm usually having fun and happy. I overeat at parties. I overeat on vacation. etc. I do not overeat when I'm sad - actually I eat very little, but what I do eat is not so healthy - ya know like chips and beer for dinner :( .And that's it. AND I tend to be very inactive when I'm sad as well. I also eat sweets a lot at night because I feel like it defines me as a southerner. "a true southerner eats a sweet with every meal y'all" That isn't a sad feeling to me - that's a proud, happy feeling.

SOOO... I guess this has opened my eyes a little. As I am trying to lose fat and gain muscles currently, hopefully this realization will help me over the next few months in my endeavor to become a hott wife for when Evan comes home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention... I am an emotional eater... I am trying very hard to change my habits... weigh in tomorrow... Here hoping for more progress...