Monday, August 25, 2008

Litter Box

My fat cat, "The Sweetpea", is very particular about the litter box. She will not use it if it has a lid on it. I think its because she's big, and feels like she can't move in the litter box. However, I like to have a lid - because it helps keep the litter mess to a minimum. I also must admit that I prefer to empty the box every other day. So last night I decided I just need a bigger box. Thinking that a bigger box = more space for the sweets = more litter = easy every other day cleanup. So I went online looking for a bigger box. Instead, I saw some ideas for homemade boxes. EUREKA! So today I made my first homemade litter box which is essentially a 20 gal plastic container with a hole cut out of the side with box cutters. I'm also planning on switching to a wheat versus a clay litter. Im hoping this will also cut down on the smell and tracking. I'll let ya know how it goes! Check out the pics...

Homemade litter box!

Here is a pic of the old box with the cover next to the new box...

old and new litter box

2 comments:

Unknown said...

how did the litter box work out? Love the idea and would like to try it. Thanks for any info.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 cats so my litter-to-sanity quotient was quite high. Then I had an idea similar to yours. Bought two clear plastic bins at Wal-Mart, got rid of lids, poured litter, and voila - no way they can scatter litter all over the floor! I also scoop every other day so we don't have an odor issue. This was a seamless transition which has really made a difference in my life and the kitties apparently have no problem with it. Hallelujah! Teri Pickering